Zeman Religious School
Experience and education foster a love of Jewish life and community.
The Rose and Isadore Zeman School is Oheb Shalom Congregation's religious school for children in grades K-7. Our school plants and nurtures the seeds of life long Jewish learning in a joyful and creative environment. The Zeman School is all about fun, experiential learning through a variety of mediums and learning activities like art, music, field trips, video production and more!
Each of our students is individually unique, precious and known by our faculty and staff which creates a warm and connected community in our school. By the time they graduate, students develop a strong love of Judaism and the Jewish community.
THE ZEMAN SCHOOL Learning goals
At the Zeman School, students gain the skills and knowledge necessary to be active participants in Jewish life. By the end of 7th grade, students possess:
- Knowledge of Jewish practices.
- The ability to participate in Jewish rituals and lifecycle events.
- An understanding of Jewish values (middot) and laws (mitzvot) to inform their choices and decisions.
- The ability to decode Hebrew,
- Knowledge of Jewish liturgy and a familiarity with the siddur (Jewish prayer book) in order to participate actively in Shabbat and holiday services.
- An understanding of the land of Israel (Eretz Yisrael), its people, culture, and history.
- A feeling of agency as it relates to repairing the world (tikkun olam), charity, and justice (tzedakah).
- An understanding and connection to the Jewish community that facilitates participation in Jewish organizations as they enter high school, college and adulthood.
Meet our new director:
Welcome to Gavin Hirsch, our new Education Director! Gavin will oversee an exciting and innovative program for the children and families of the Zeman Hebrew School, as well as youth programming for the congregation.
Most recently, Gavin served as Director of Youth Engagement at Temple B’nai Jeshurun in Short Hills. Prior to his time at Temple B’nai Jeshurun, he was the Assistant Director of Jewish Learning & Living at Temple Beth El in Boca Raton, Florida. Gavin holds a Master's Degree in Religious Education from Hebrew Union College and a B.A. in Psychology with a Minor in Religion from Rutgers University.
“We are delighted to welcome Gavin as the new education director for Oheb Shalom. Gavin brings a fresh approach, as well as tremendous energy and enthusiasm to the position. He is equally good at connecting with kids and parents. We are looking forward to working with him to make our already wonderful school even better,” said Zeman School Board Chairwoman Barbra Parlin.
Reach out and say hi!
Director of Education
Sundays, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: All Students (K-7)
Wednesdays, 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Students in grades 3-7
The school year extends from early September to late May. Our school calendar includes a variety of special programming, surrounding holidays, social action and Jewish life, for both students and their families. To access the calendar, click here.