Zeman Religious School
The Rose and Isadore Zeman School is Oheb Shalom Congregation's religious school for children in grades K-7. Our school plants and nurtures the seeds of life long Jewish learning in a joyful and innovative environment. The Zeman School is all about fun, experiential learning through art, music, field trips (and more!) to get our students excited about Hebrew, Israel, and Judaism.
We believe that education and experience builds Jewish community and continuity. By the time they graduate, students develop strong Jewish identities, close ties to Israel, and deep connections to the Jewish people.
The Zeman School Vision
At the Zeman School, students gain the skills and knowledge necessary to be active participants in Jewish life. They understand and appreciate their local and extended community, as well as Israel. By graduation, students possess:
- Knowledge of Jewish practices.
- The ability to participate in Jewish rituals and lifecycle events.
- An understanding of Jewish values (middot) and laws (mitzvot) to inform their choices and decisions.
- The ability to decode Hebrew,
- Knowledge of Jewish liturgy.
- Familiarity with the siddur (Jewish prayer book) in order to participate actively in Shabbat and holiday services.
- An understanding of the land of Israel (Eretz Yisrael), its people, culture, and history.
- A feeling of agency as it relates to repairing the world (tikkun olam), charity, and justice (tzedakah).
- A strong sense of Jewish identity
- An understanding and connectiong to the Jewish community that facilitates participation in Jewish organizations as they enter high school, college and adulthood.
A message from the Director of education:
There is perhaps no mission as humbling as being tasked to provide students with a meaningful, joyful, and enriching Jewish education. Through our dedicated faculty, our commitment to community, and our innovative programming, the Zeman School sees each school day as an incredible opportunity to learn, to live, and to laugh. Students sing Jewish songs, create stained glass art, build edible candy sukkot (booths), and debate the ideas of ancient rabbis. Others partake in Jewish themed game shows, Hebrew reading contests, and holiday extravaganzas.
The Zeman School welcomes all children and families from Jewish backgrounds. I invite you to take a tour to learn more about our distinguished school.
Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.
Director of Education
Sundays, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: All Students (K-7)
Wednesdays, 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Students in grades 3-7
The school year extends from early September to late May. Our school calendar includes a variety of special programming, surrounding holidays, social action and Jewish life, for both students and their families. To access the calendar, click here.