Bobrow Kosher Food Pantry
The Bobrow Kosher Food Pantry fights food insecurity in the Essex Country community. We are staffed entirely by volunteers.
All members of the congregation and the community are invited to participate in the monthly food bagging and distribution.
CALENDAR FOR 2019-2020
Bagging is on Wednesdays from 6:00 - 8:00 PM. Food that has been collected and purchased is divided into bags with an assortment of groceries in each bag.
Distribution on Sundays begins at 9:00 and concludes at 12:30 pm.
Bagging and distribution take place at Oheb Shalom Congregation. Enter the building from the rear parking lot, through the main double doors. Proceed through the main double glass doors into the main lobby, take the stairs down 2 levels and continue straight ahead to the food pantry.
- Started in June 1991, the Bobrow Kosher Food Pantry now serves about 200 households each month.
- The clients we serve are a cross section of the population that are struggling with economic difficulties.
- We serves only Kosher food.
- Most people have been referred to Oheb from Jewish Family Services or other Jewish organizations, as well as a few from local social services.
- The food we give is a mix of donated food, USDA food that we get at no charge from the government via the Food Bank, and food we purchase from the NJ Food Bank.
- Most of the food we have is bought at a deep discount. For us to add an item to a bag will cost us as little as .35 for a can of vegetables or crackers to $3.50 for juice or cooking oil. This means we can buy food for less money than people would spend if they wanted to go to the store to buy food for us, so contributions of money are most effective. However, we also appreciate donations of food.
- All food donations must have a hechsher on the packaging and the items cannot be expired.
- All the work at the Bobrow Kosher Food Pantry is through volunteer support. Please consider donating your time on our Wednesday bagging nights or on our Sunday distribution mornings. Volunteer hours make for a great mitzvah project!